Emergency - 911 Non-Emergency 405.263.7972 Okarche Police Department 300 W. Colorado Okarche OK 73762
Okarche   is   located   on   land   that,   before   1830,   was   within   the   historic   area   of   the   Wichita   people. The   location   was   in   territory   assigned   to   the   Creek and   Seminole   people   when   removal   of   tribes   from   the   southeastern   United   States   began   in   1830. After   the   Civil   War,   parts   of   Indian   Territory   were designated   for   resettlement   of   Plains   Indians.   The   site   of   the   future   town   of   Okarche   was   just   inside   the   eastern   border   of   the   Cheyenne   and Arapaho reservation. From   1867   to   1884,   cattle   were   driven   through   the   area   on   the   Chisholm   Trail   from   Texas   to   railheads   in   Kansas.   Later   the   Chicago,   Rock   Island and   Pacific   Railroad   and   the   state   road   which   would   become   the   Meridian   Highway   and   U.S.   Highway   81   would   follow   roughly   the   same   route through Oklahoma Territory. On   March   2,   1887,   the   U.S.   Congress   approved   construction   of   a   railroad   through   Indian   Territory.   The   Chicago,   Kansas   and   Nebraska   Railway was   given   a   100-foot   (30   m)   right   of   way   through   the   territory   and   authorized   to   take   additional   right   of   way   for   stations   every   10   miles   (16   km)   of track.   Railway   assets   would   be   turned   over   to   the   CRI&P   in   June   1890.   Construction   proceeded   southward   from   Caldwell,   Kansas,   and   was completed   to   Pond   Creek   by   April   1889   and   to   El   Reno   in   January   1890.   The   railway   depot   where   Okarche   was   platted   was   completed   at   that time. The   Okarche   post   office   was   established   June   28,   1890.   Cheyenne   and Arapaho   lands   were   opened   to   settlement   by   land   run   on April   19,   1892. The   town   was   incorporated   in   1905   –   two   years   before   statehood.   The   name   of   the   town   is   derived   from   parts   of   three   words,   Oklahoma   (OK), Arapaho   (AR),   and   Cheyenne   (CHE).   The   Southern   Arapaho   and   Cheyenne   Native   American   tribes   had   been   relocated   to   Oklahoma   from   the northern   Great   Plains   in   the   late   19th   century. The   town's   population   hovered   in   the   400s   for   more   than   three   decades   after   statehood   had   risen   to over 1,200 by 2010.